Friday, October 5, 2012

VeganMoFo #5: Tofu Scramble in a Cup



Breakfast is my favorite meal. Sometimes I look forward to the weekend solely for the breakfasts I'll get to eat. Saturdays are for lavish breakfasts at home. Sundays are for bike rides to our favorite brunch spots. But I've recently decided that there's no reason to limit a warm, filling breakfast--the kind of breakfast that produces smiles--to two days a week.

The dilemma: Who wants to get up before the sun to cook this day-making fare? I know I'd rather stay under the covers and listen to NPR until I must get out of bed. Well, unless it's membership drive time. But you get the point.

The solution: Tofu scramble in a cup. Or, more formally, mini tofu frittatas. I bake these up on Sunday or Monday, put them in the fridge, and they last all week.

My favorite thing about making these, aside from their inviting cupcake shape, obviously, is that I can put all of our leftover vegetables from the week in them and create different flavors each time. No getting bored with the same breakfast over and over and over again. This week, mine featured mushrooms, spinach, onions, and Daiya shreds leftover from a recent pizza night.

When I'm feeling especially lazy or pressed for time, I don't even have to warm them up in the morning. They taste just as good straight out of the fridge. And they make a suitable lunch, too.

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I may have to try these. I also love a good hearty breakfast, but come most mornings, the girls get me up much earlier than I'd like and it takes me ages to really get moving. And by that time I'm starving and grumpy and pour a bowl of bland Cheerios just to get *something* in my stomach (other than coffee). I like that you can prep these ahead. It looks like you've got yours in a silicone muffin cup. Do you cook them that way? All I have is a standard muffin tin, but it's in fairly rough shape these days and I could use some new baking gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a muffin tin, so I bake anything muffin- or cupcake-shaped in silicone cups set on a baking sheet. What's great about them being in cups is they can be a grab-and-go meal if we're headed out the door in a hurry. The only problem I have now is that I'm missing one cup, and this recipe fills more than 12 cups as it is. I just leave the leftover tofu "batter" in the fridge and bake some more as we eat the cooked ones and empty out the baking cups.

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant idea, I'm often too lazy to get outa bd until I'm reeeeally starving and then all I manage to rustle up is toast or cereal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I'm on a quest to find even more make-ahead savory breakfasts for that very reason.

      Delete
  3. Aaaah, could you send one over for tomorrow morning?! ;) I wish I could get Daiya cheese over here.. :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a long bike ride, but I wish I could bring you tofu in a cup and a giant stash of Daiya. A lack of Daiya cheese is a bad, bad thing. :)

      Delete