Tuesday, October 2, 2012

VeganMoFo #2: Tea Time


I’ve been told that you can make any place home with the addition of curtains and a teapot. And I think that’s the truth. As I rebuild a life after traditional full-time employment, I find myself spending a lot more time at home. Coziness is all the more important. I’m discovering the lost pleasure of midday relaxation in the form of tea time. And cookies, of course.

There isn’t too much in life better than a pot of chai at a toasty teahouse. In fact, my first date with Dreamy McDreamerson involved sipping chai at Tao of Tea on a chilly Portland evening. My goal this fall and winter is to recreate that warm, fuzzy feeling at home.

Today I boiled a generous helping of Tao of Tea’s 500 Mile Chai with water. After a few minutes of boiling, I added coconut milk and let it simmer for another 2-3 minutes before straining out the loose tea. Behind the scenes, it looked like this:



After eliminating all evidence of my lacking elegance (guess I need to work on my pouring skills), I transferred the tea to an absurdly charming teapot to set the scene. I added more agave than I’m probably supposed to and raised my pinky alongside more than my fair share of chocolate-bottom macaroons. Daily ritual? I think so.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's really nice to live at a slower pace... And man, it is always nice to have tea time. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm learning that when it comes to living how I'd like to live, slower is better!

      Delete
  2. That is a fantastic looking chai. The idea of pairing it with those macaroons is practically making me salivate.

    ReplyDelete