Monday, October 1, 2012

VeganMoFo #1: Sauerkraut


A couple of years ago I read Radical Homemakers. I remember enjoying the book, but I wasn’t at the right place in my life for it to be fully applicable. Now, though, as I read it a second time for a book group, I’m inspired. I’m ready to jump off the hamster wheel and be resourceful. I want to produce more and consume less.

I’m starting small. Each day I choose one thing that will put me on the right path toward my dream homesteady life on a little farm sanctuary somewhere that’s green. And it’s been great so far. I’m learning. I’m making things. I’m reuniting with my long-lost creativity.

One of my latest projects is to keep a tally of items I buy regularly at the grocery store and attempt, one by one, to make them myself. I want to try each thing once. If I determine that the energy put into making it is not worth it, well, then, I’ll let someone else make it and buy convenience with dollars. No pressure. But if I have fun doing it and want to do it again and again and again? Awesome!

First up, and probably easiest on my list, was sauerkraut. I’m a fan of Bubbie’s brand, which goes for $5.49 at Whole Foods. When it’s on sale. For $6.00 I bought two huge, heavy cabbages at the neighborhood farmer’s market, and that made four jars, each double the size of those bought at the store. That’s a lot of fresh ‘kraut.


All I had to do was chop the cabbages up into thin shreds, sprinkle on some salt, mash it all down into a clean container with a potato masher, cover it, and wait a week. Simple!


We have a winter’s supply for making mac & shews and reubens. I don’t think I’ll be buying sauerkraut again. And next time I’ll even grow my own cabbages to up my homesteader points.

4 comments:

  1. Not only does that sauerkraut look completely amazing, but I love that you're attempting to make things that you'd normally buy. Very cool!

    Happy MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making kraut is awesome. Have you read the books by Sandor Elix Katz? His books are awesome for fermentation info. Also, I love your logo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm headed to the library to pick up my reserved copy of Wild Fermentation today! :D I haven't done a ton of fermenting -- a few pickles and kombucha (and now sauerkraut) -- so it should be a fun one!

      Delete