Wednesday, October 24, 2012

VeganMoFo #18: Fig Bars



Figs are falling from the fig tree. Time to make everything fig-related! Tonight I baked whole wheat fig bars from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. They're a nice, not-too-sweet evening treat.


 Lots of recipes, including this one, call for dried figs, but I've been cheating with fresh ones with no ill effects. I cut off the stems of all the figs, cut them in half, and put them face-down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (with lip to avoid fig juice spillage). Then I pop them in the oven at 150-200 degrees for a couple hours. They get wrinkly and juicy and discolored. I then chop them up and use them however the recipe says to, omitting some or all of the liquid the recipe calls for as I see fit.

Now I need to find more uses for figs! I think I'll make jam with them next.

1 comment:

  1. I find chopped dried figs to be lovely in oatmeal. I was using Alton Brown's overnight oats recipe (using soy half and half). Here's the recipe:http://bonappetithon.com/2011/11/11/flashback-friday-alton-browns-overnight-oatmeal/
    It calls for chopped figs and cranberries. It's quite nice!

    ReplyDelete