Thursday, October 11, 2012

VeganMoFo #11: Caramel Apple Pie


It's apple season! Last weekend I spent a perfect, sunny fall morning at a nearby orchard with some friends. I had planned on picking buckets and buckets of apples for baking pies and apple chips and making applesauce. But then when we got there, we were overwhelmed by all the trees full of Honeycrisp apples. So we came home with pounds and pounds of those but no baking apples. Which is not really a bad thing, as we've easily been eating away at them.

However, I still had a hankering for a pie. Lucky for me, there's an apple tree in the yard we share with our neighbors, and its apples are tart enough for baking. I put on my Ms. Autumn Woman red jacket this morning, carried coffee in one hand, picked apples in the yard while leaves crunched under my feet, and I was ready for baking.

I've never been a huge apple pie fan. I'm more into the idea of apple pie. I decided adding caramel would make it more appealing to me. I was right. I used the apple pie recipe from Vegan Pie in the Sky and this recipe for caramel sauce. I drizzled all the caramel sauce into the pie in layers with the apples.


It was divine.

5 comments:

  1. You had me at apples and caramel. That looks and sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also not into apple pie so much, but it sounds like adding caramel sauce might convert me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly converted me. I should go count how many apples are left on the tree so I can calculate how many more pies I can make... :)

      Delete
  3. Your Ms. Autumn Woman reference just made me laugh out loud. The day that article was published, T went to work dressed almost exactly like that. Only he drinks tea, not coffee ;)

    ReplyDelete