Wednesday, October 10, 2012

VeganMoFo #10: Melon Coconut Ice Cream


I have a melon problem. I see a cantaloupe or honeydew melon at the farmers market or the store, and I am compelled to buy it. I think I want it. But then it just languishes in the kitchen, eventually banished to the refrigerator. Until I finally make myself eat it before it goes bad.


There's been an orange honeydew melon on the counter for over a week, and with the weather cooling off, it just didn't sound appetizing to slice it up and take a bite. So I went searching for melon dessert recipes. I stumbled upon an easy sorbet recipe. It wasn't quite what I had in mind, but it gave me an idea! I decided to concoct an ice cream-y dessert. And, oh, what a good idea that was!

Ingredients:
  • 1 melon (I used orange honeydew)
  • 1 can of full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated for several hours
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 tablespoons agave
  • juice from 1/2 a lime
Directions:
  1. Put a can of full-fat coconut milk in the refrigerator at least 4 hours before you're ready to make dessert.
  2. Dice up the melon and put it in the freezer until it's frozen.*
  3. Scoop the solidified part of the coconut milk (save the liquid for a smoothie!) out and put it in the food processor along with the frozen melon and the remaining ingredients.
  4. Process it all until it's creamy. It ends up having a thin soft serve-like consistency. If you prefer a consistency closer to ice cream, just put the finished product in the freezer for a bit.
  5. Eat it!
This made about four servings, so there's more in the freezer for tomorrow. It's like vanilla soft serve with a touch of melon-y sweetness. Mmm.

*If there are chickens in your life, be sure to save the melon rind with a little melon still in it for them. They will not be disappointed.





No comments:

Post a Comment